It’s been a crazily active summer – apologies for the lack of updates! Sudo Room (and by extension, Sudo Mesh) has relocated to the Omni Oakland Commons at 4799 Shattuck. We’re excited to be a founding member collective among an array of groups that have moved in together to create a radical commons in Oakland.
If you’ve been wanting to plug in and help out, or simply reconnect to the group, tonight is a great night to come by and check out the new space!
- We’ll be having our monthly general meeting today, starting at 7:30pm at Sudo Room. Please add to the agenda! – https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudomesh
- Juul, MaxB and Alex have been working hard on crushing bugs and levelling up our mesh firmware. We’ve deployed a test network within the Omni building and they are successfully meshing as I type! \o/
- We’ve procured a 75 foot antenna tower that will be mounted in West Oakland to become a core relay spot for routing traffic on the mesh.
- Noemie has put together a fantastic sudomesh / people’s open net video and is currently soliciting feedback. Check it out @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qva1SQSBDyE
- Paige made a rad flyer design and two versions of the flyer for a) general ways to participate in the project and b) promoting upcoming info sessions. Check them out here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Flyers
- Stickers!! The round ‘Mesh the Planet’ and rectangular PeoplesOpen.Net stickers have been printed and can be procured at sudoroom (atio the white shelves next to the staircase) and/or one of our Tuesday/Thursday meetups!
Code – so much code this summer!!
- Juul created ipk-builder: https://github.com/sudomesh/ipk-builder
- MaxB, Ron, and Juul have been updating the service browser: https://github.com/sudomesh/service-browser
- Juul, MaxB, and Alex reengineered the node-configurator: https://github.com/sudomesh/makenode
- MaxB, Alex and Matt fixed the exitnode
- MaxB created sudowrt-firmware-images for temporary storage of firmware builds
- Matt added a patch to sudowrt-firmware
- Alex and MaxB have been fixing our fork of tunneldigger
- MaxB fixed sudowrt-packages
- Juul updated ubi-flasher
- Juul added fixes to meshnode-database
- Matt created svg-animations for mesh presentations
- Tunabananas created Mesh/Flyers and uploaded Paige’s flyers
- ChrisJ updated Mesh/Monitoring and created Mesh/Icinga
- Matt added instructions to Mesh/Firmware/Flash
- Jul added to Mesh/Hardware Support
- GMeader created the page Mesh/San Francisco and added to Mesh/Marketing
- MaxB added sticker images to Mesh/Stickers
- ChrisJ created Mesh/Sensu
- Tunabananas added recent research on broadband access in Oakland to Mesh/Oakland
- Tunabananas added some months worth of meeting minutes to Mesh/Minutes
- Jwentwistle added a bunch of documentation to Mesh/BATMAN-adv
- Jwentwistle and Tunabananas cleaned up the main Mesh page!
- Jwentwistle moved Mesh/MeshApps primarily to Mesh/Distributed Services
- Jwentwistle created and added slides to Mesh/Presentation
- Jwentwistle created Mesh/User Guide
- Jwentwistle created Mesh/Technical Overview
- MaxB checked some stuff out
- Matt added some diagrams to Mesh/Diagrams
- Jwentwistle added bandwidth shaping details to Mesh/Firmware
- MaxB added some ideas for our box of crappy routers to Mesh/Inventory
- Tunabananas wrote a new post on Mesh/Blog
- Aep added to Mesh/MeshApps
- Test current mesh setup in the Omni building
- Create online ordering system and shipping label automation
- Create ‘How to Care for Your Node’ guides
- Outreach to spaces that can host info sessions and presentations
- Work on local apps and services that will run on the mesh!
- More at: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/ToDos
- Please update the list above with specific tasks!
- Come by our weekly hacknights, Tuesdays and Thursdays starting at 7:30pm at Sudo Room <https://sudoroom.org>
- Contribute research, ideas, designs to our wiki: https://sudomesh.org
- Contribute to the code: https://github.com/sudomesh
- Donate hardware and equipment! <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Wishlist>
- Give a small weekly donation: https://www.gittip.com/sudomesh
- Oakland’s Sudo Mesh looks to counter censorship and the digital divide with a mesh network: http://techpresident.com/news/25200/oakland-sudo-mesh-counter-censorship-digital-divide-mesh-net
- It’s Time for Open, Shared Home Wi-Fi (Re/Code): http://recode.net/2014/08/05/its-time-for-shared-open-home-wi-fi/